COVID-19 Vaccine Information
On January 21, 2021, Governor Charlie Baker announced that the state is opening COVID-19 vaccination to ALL remaining Phase 1 groups in the state’s vaccine distribution plan, including dental professionals providing patient-facing care.
Latest COVID-19 Vaccine Updates
COVID-19 Vaccine Access and Scheduling
On January 21, the Massachusetts Dental Society (MDS) announced the good news that dental professionals in Massachusetts could now schedule COVID-19 vaccine appointments. This is thanks to the Commonwealth opening COVID-19 vaccinations to all remaining groups in Phase 1 of the state’s vaccine distribution plan, including dental professionals who provide patient-facing care. This news was a long time coming and followed weeks of effort by MDS leadership and an initial lack of cooperation from the state.
The MDS is thankful for the patience and resilience that Massachusetts dental professionals demonstrated with the long-awaited state-approved eligibility to receive the approved COVID-19 vaccines. We hope to clarify some of the many important updates from this week.
- As part of the Phase 1 eligibility, all patient-facing dental personnel are eligible as health care workers doing non-COVID-facing care.
- Dental personnel can make an appointment at any of the designated Massachusetts vaccine locations. We expect the capacity and number of sites to increase as the Massachusetts Vaccination Program continues to develop from its preliminary stages.
- Depending on sites, you may need to demonstrate your eligibility with the necessary documents outlined by the state.
- For all questions regarding safety, efficacy, and other expectations for your vaccination, we encourage you to visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention vaccine webpage.
We are encouraged by the organization and preparation taken by Massachusetts officials to provide these detailed and informative resources. The MDS is working with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) and continues to advocate on behalf of Massachusetts dental professionals through efforts to provide the following:
- Expanded access for dental personnel to receive the vaccine through designated vaccine locations that may have allocated vaccines and appointments for registered dental personnel
Vaccination sites are being launched regularly. We will keep you informed of any dental professional-designated COVID-19 locations that open through this partnership with the DPH. We encourage those members interested in receiving a vaccine to view the online map of locations providing vaccines to eligible individuals and schedule an appointment as soon as possible.
COVID-19 Vaccine Questions and Answers
COVID-19 Vaccine and Your Patients
Resources for Dental Health Care Professionals
Preparing Your Practice to Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine
Information on COVID-19 is changing on a daily, sometimes hourly, basis. The MDS has made every attempt to ensure that information is up-to-date, but with rapid changes occurring some information may have changed since publication. The date of publication is noted at the top of the page. Please visit www.coronavirus.gov or www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-updates-and-information for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.