Careers at the MDS
The Massachusetts Dental Society (MDS) is a professional association dedicated to improving the oral health of the public and the professional development of its membership through initiatives in education, advocacy, and promotion of the highest professional standards. To accomplish these goals, the MDS engages in political advocacy, access to care, various communications—including publications, website, and social networking—and produces an annual dental conference in Boston. The MDS delivers continuing education onsite and throughout the Commonwealth. It also includes a Foundation focused on improving access to care for the underserved in Massachusetts.
Full-time employee benefits include:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off and Holidays
- 401(k) Profit-Sharing Plan
- Tuition Assistance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Director of Marketing
We are looking for a Director of Marketing. The Director of Marketing oversees all marketing operations of the Massachusetts Dental Society and Yankee Dental Congress and develops marketing strategy and vision. This Director manages a team of professionals and will direct marketing efforts toward great success.This position requires passion for their profession and a great knowledge for all things marketing. They can balance a practical mindset with a creative business acumen and the ability to lead people through complex marketing operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand market trends and direct the market research efforts accordingly
- Liaise with other departments to guide a unified approach to customer service, member engagement, promotion etc. that meets market demands
- Define marketing strategies to support the society’s overall strategies and objectives
- Develop a feasible marketing plan for the department and oversee its day-to-day implementation
- Plan and organize marketing functions and operations (product development, branding, communications etc.), and ensure they project the society’s strategic goals
- Design and coordinate promotional campaigns, and other marketing efforts across all channels (digital, press etc.)
- Build a highly efficient team of marketing, design and operations professionals
- Create a solid network of strategic partnerships
- Design and improve upon marketing campaigns for our members, prospects, attendees and exhibitors
- Negotiate details for outside contractors
- Create and propagate an enthusiastic brand message that will resonate with our customers/members
- Explore various digital marketing tactics and techniques in order to increase Yankee attendance and member awareness
- Work with Managing Director of Finance on Yankee Dental budget
- Serve as a liaison between Yankee and MDS to execute effective marketing programs to better serve the MDS membership
- Proven experience as Director of Marketing or similar role
- Demonstrable experience in developing efficient strategies and business plans for all marketing aspects (branding, product promotion etc.)
- Solid understanding of market research and data analysis methods
- Ability to apply marketing techniques over digital (e.g. social media) and non-digital (e.g. press) channels
- Understanding of different business disciplines (IT, finance etc.)
- Proficient in MS Office and Salesforce (e.g. CRM)
- A leader with both creative and analytical capabilities
- Outstanding communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal abilities
- BS/BA in business administration, marketing, communications or relevant field
- Willingness to tackle any problem or situation and determine the solution that will provide the best outcome
- Ability to provide ongoing support and leadership to all members of the team so that everyone is working as efficiently and effectively as possible
We are seeking a Communications Manager who will be responsible for contributing to the day-to-day communications efforts of the Massachusetts Dental Society (MDS) for both membership and public audiences across a variety of channels. This position will manage communications efforts including social media, general visibility, public relations, and media outreach strategies as directed.Responsibilities and Duties
- Write, edit, and publish content for member communications including but not limited to the weekly membership email newsletter, member engagement emails, website, promotional materials, and other projects.
- Contribute articles to the online bi-monthly membership and semi-annual public oral health newsletters.
- Meet regularly with team members to review and update website, sunsetting content as necessary.
- Participate in crisis communication efforts.
- Oversee and grow the public section of the website, including writing and publishing content to increase public awareness of the importance of oral health.
- Maintain ownership of the online Newsroom.
- Perform public relations functions such as writing press releases, responding to media inquiries, and monitoring and tracking media coverage involving the MDS, its members, and issues important to the MDS and dentistry.
- Manage third-party relationship with external public relations firm.
- Create collateral materials to support the MDS’s legislative agenda.
- Develop and implement public relations strategies to build and improve the MDS’s public image.
- Draft fundraising communications focused on MDS Political Action Committee and MDS Foundation activities.
- Other duties as assigned by the director of publications and managing director of membership and dental practice services.
- Develop, execute, and own the strategy for MDS social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
- Conduct regular analysis of MDS social media platforms, marketing, and advertising campaigns.
- Create, repurpose, and publish member- and public-facing content (copy, graphics, and video) across multiple MDS channels (social media, publications, website, email) to support targeted campaigns.
- Leverage social media platforms to engage stakeholders on important public policy issues.
Professional/Technical Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism, marketing, public relations, or a related field with five-plus years of communications experience, preferably in a non-profit, health care, or association setting.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading experience with ability to adhere to organization style guide.
- A proven track record in creating engaging social media content.
- A highly motivated self-starter who can work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Strict attention to detail and the ability to work with tight deadlines.
- Well organized, able to prioritize work, manage time effectively, adapt to changing priorities, manage projects autonomously, and follow through on commitments.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a strong team-based environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and email marketing software and content management systems. Experience with Salesforce, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, and/or Sitecore a plus.
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and online video editing software a plus.
- Availability to participate in evening and weekend meetings as required.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and be willing and able to drive to out-of-state and in-state meetings as needed.
- Must be able to see to read documents on paper, on computer monitors, and/or on hand-held mobile devices.
- Must be able to hear the spoken word (either naturally or assisted) in person, by telephone, and/or by video conferencing.
- Along with you resume and cover letter, please include two short writing samples and three professional social media postings.
We are seeking a Marketing Coordinator who will be responsible for coordinating projects and activities for marketing Yankee Dental Congress continuing education programs.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage mail list by obtaining, maintaining, and updating prospective attendee database and pulling mailing lists for mail house /email use
- Manage and maintain all social media promotions, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Manage the production of all Yankee Dental Congress’s printed materials, including but not limited to the Yankee’s Program Book, Advance Planner, and On-site Guide
- Manipulate content from in-house database, write, update and proofread copy
- Coordinate placement of advertising in Society, District, and national publications
- Create marketing collateral
- Maintain content for the Yankee website and assist with content for the MDS site
- Manage vendor and content for the Yankee Mobile App
- Coordinate the creation and on-site logistics of signage
- Manage relationships with mail house and printers
- Answer customer service phone calls and online chats during peak periods
- Create binder with all promotions and reports for each Yankee
- Assist with detailed analysis of Yankee in order to make decisions for future Yankee Dental Congresses
- Work with the Yankee exhibits team for all digital marketing
- BS or BA degree, plus 1-3 years experience in a professional marketing environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong writing, proofing, and editing skills
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Strong PC skills using Word, Excel, Salesforce, and HTML a plus
- Proactive, self-motivated, highly organized
- Flexibility to work well independently as well as in a team
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment with enthusiasm
- Customer service approach
Membership Administrative Assistant
We are seeking a Membership Administrative Assistant who will be provide administrative support to the Membership department. Including working with Department Directors and members of the Society and responding to requests as needed.
Provide support for the Society as follows:
- Support membership operations
- Coordinate new member application processing
- Manage committee/task force meeting logistics including meeting notices, follow-up, attendance, agenda, materials distribution, and meeting minutes.
- provide customer service support for classified ads.
- Enter data into company Salesforce database as necessary
- Initiate purchase orders and check requests
- Generate monthly dashboards to districts
- Return mail processing
- Participate on Member Assistance Center team
- Provide office-wide or department assistance on special projects when needed.
- Proficient in MS office
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Ability to multitask
- Strong written and oral skills
- Positive attitude
- Salesforce experience a plus
- An associate's or bachelor’s degree and two years’ job-related experience are preferred.
- Advanced MS Word, intermediate Excel, Internet and database and data entry, Zoom, Microsoft Teams.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent people and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills that include prioritizing, multitasking, planning and meeting deadlines.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to work independently and as part of cohesive team.
- Experience with general office machines, such as fax, copy, postage meter, etc.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and priorities.
- Work as assigned at the annual convention in Boston for three days and nights and staff weekend community/access programs as needed.
- Attend evening meetings at MDS headquarters, approximately 15/year.