Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force
MDS Immediate Past President Dr. MaryJane Hanlon appointed a Task Force on June 3, 2020, to develop a robust policy and to assist with ongoing conversations with members regarding equity and racial justice. MDS President Dr. Meredith Bailey has appointed a 2021 Task Force to continue work on these important issues.
Task Force Charge
The Massachusetts Dental Society (MDS) stands with members of our communities, including our dentists and patients, who face injustice and racism in their day-to-day lives. Unfortunately, racism continues to be pervasive throughout all levels of society. Social media posts and thoughts and prayers alone will not solve these problems. We must stand up and act. To this date, the MDS admits that it has not done enough within our own organization and profession to ensure diversity and inclusivity. This failure does not go unrecognized, and that is why we have announced a task force on June 3, 2020.
The Task Force charge(s) is defined by the MDS President and Board of Trustees. The corresponding charges for the current governance year are as follows:
- Consider the need to create a standing Committee on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Conduct periodic climate surveys and/or hold focus groups with MDS members in collaboration with ADA to develop national benchmark
- Ensure prioritization of DEI by incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion into key operational documents of the MDS (e.g., Strategic Plan, Constitution and Bylaws, etc.)
- Develop education and training for MDS staff and members, session(s) at Yankee Dental Congress relating to topics of DEI and annual speaker series
- Annual assessment of membership-leadership representation with commitment to leadership development for traditionally underrepresented and marginalized persons