Access to Care Grants
Each year, the Foundation awards Access to Care Grants to support sustainable programs that improve access to dental care for residents of the Commonwealth. Congratulations to the 2018-2019 Access to Care Grant recipients:
- Forsyth Institute - $15,000 to help the organization provide oral health care to immigrant children at 60 sites, reaching those with difficulty accessing dental services.
- Greater Roslindale Medical and Dental Center (GRMDC) - $25,000 to enable the center to expand dental access to patients of GRMDC and improve integration between its medical and dental departments.
- Hillcrest Dental Care, Inc. - $20,000 to help the organization provide care to unserved and underserved Berkshire County children via a portable dental unit.
- Volunteers in Medicine Berkshires (VIM) - $16,000 to fund additional dental hygienist hours to support the all-volunteer dentists in its free dental clinic.
- North Shore District - $1,980 to the Gloucester Children’s Dental Center to fund school bus transportation between Gloucester Public Schools and the Center to expand outreach to the underserved youth in Gloucester.
- Southeastern District - $2,000 to the Elder Dental Program to cover a portion of the program's operations for a free spring dental screening clinic in Norfolk County on May 4, 2019.
- Dental student Alisha Desai and Dr. Samuel Coffin of the Boston District took part in Operation Mouthguard, which provides free custom-fitted mouthguards to underserved children.
- Dr. Casey Jones of the Berkshire District runs a children’s health education and prevention program that includes school visits, radio interviews and sharing daily dental tips on social media.
- Dr. Diane Bonanni and Dr. Badrieh Edalatpour of the East Middlesex District organized an athletic mouthguard event at the Boys and Girls Club of Stoneham, taking impressions for custom mouthguards for children and teen athletes.
- Dr. Diane Bonanni of the East Middlesex District developed an initiative aimed at improving plaque removal for autistic adults at Melmark New England.
- Dr. Martha Forero of the Boston District organized a Give Kids a Smile event at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine to provide free dental care to children ages 0-13.
- Dr. Sabina Malla of the Southeastern District provides oral health education for children in a classroom setting in Dartmouth, Massachusetts.