ERH Mandate Update
Microcephaly, Salivary Transmission and Other Considerations of Zika Virus Infection
National Cleft and Craniofacial Awareness and Prevention Month
Is Your Office Ready for a Surprise Inspection?
Call for Nominations
The Metropolitan District Dental Society
is calling for nominations for the annual Robert L. Burke, DDS Memorial
Volunteer Award for 2016-2017. This recognition award was established in 1999
in Dr. Burke’s honor to recognize outstanding volunteer efforts and
contributions which have been put forth for the betterment of the dental
society. The award is presented annually at a formal district dinner meeting. This
year the 2015 recipient, Dr. Mary DeMello, will be honored at the Wellesley
Country Club on Tuesday September 27th.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would
like further information on the MDDS Dinner Meeting Honoring Dr. DeMello.
The award is given to a dental society
member who is in good standing of the Massachusetts Dental Society, who has
bettered the community within the Metropolitan District. Nominations will be
accepted from the membership and submitted to the district office and then
forwarded to the MDDS Awards Committee. So that the MDDS Awards Committee can properly
evaluate each nomination, nominations must be submitted in writing explaining
why the nominated individual deserves the award. The MDDS Awards Committee is comprised
of four members of the MDDS Executive Committee. The Chair of the district, Dr.
Maryam Shomali, is the Chair of the MDDS Awards Committee. She will choose
three people to be on the committee from the Executive Board. The Chair only
votes in the case of a tie.
Robert L. Burke, DDS Memorial Volunteer Award Recipients
2000 Stephen Stone, DMD
2001 Norman H. Diamond, DMD
2002 Andrea Richman, DMD
2003 Michael S. Swartz, DDS
2004 Michael C. Sheff, DMD
2005 Carl J. Perlmutter, DMD
2006 Edward M. Salamoff, DMD
2007 Joan Qureshi, DMD
2008 James S. Cinamon, DMD
2009 John Horack, DMD
A. Slone, DMD
L. Cardiff, DDS
E. Bullock, DDS
Jeffrey Lowenstein, DMD
Dental Speed Networking Works!
This past Sunday, August 21st, the Middlesex and Metropolitan District Dental Societies held the initial Dental Rounds Speed Networking Event with dentists from all over Massachusetts! Food, drink and fun were in attendance in the private Back Room at The Burren Restaurant in Somerville's chic Davis Square. Generously sponsored by Carestream’s Paul Abreu, and organized by Drs. Rosie Wagner, Maryam Shomali and Patricia Machalinski, the afternoon affair was a tremendous success.
Doors opened at 2:30 p.m. and speed networking begun at 3:00 p.m. sharp. There were 20 tables set up and the person sitting on the east side of the room moved to the next table after 8 minutes of meeting with the dentist sitting facing the west side of the room. Young and experienced, specialists and general dentists, district officers and those new to the society all exchanged email addresses and phone numbers and learned something new about a fellow dentist.
Save the Date for Dental Night
Awash in innovation, like the neighborhood it serves, The Envoy Hotel rooftop is buzzing and brilliant—fittingly christened the Lookout. The Lookout Rooftop Bar – overlooking the city, provided a breathless view of Boston. In the Lookout Rooftop Bar, food is forethought, handcrafted and highly creative, and whisked from kitchens with a recipe to delight. Drinks echo, with small-batch distillers, rock-star brewers and single vineyard labels all making the list. The bar highlights handmade craft cocktails and micro brews including a special beer brewed specifically for the Lookout Rooftop Bar, small batch bourbons, single malt scotches, an interesting, carefully selected wine program, fresh juices and mixers and house made sodas. To accompany, there’s design flair in tow, a lively mix of bold spaces and clubby nooks where teams can pre-flight their presentation or revel in its success, and friends can socialize as twos or tens, agreeably. All of it this activity is down the street from the busy city, native to celebrations, short-listed by locals, and simply delicious.
With its fusion of bold originality and hospitality, The Metropolitan District Dental Society proudly announces the kickoff to its 2016 MDDSocial Calendar with an opening reception at the Lookout Rooftop Bar in the Envoy Hotel. Part homage to the inspired community that surrounds it, part ode to the Innovation District it calls home, The Envoy Hotel offers a modern, design-forward aesthetic and a comfortable, easy-going vibe. Cast in a fresh and independent way, yet completely in-step to the rhythm of the city, The Envoy Hotel hails visitors and locals who crave an authentic connection to the pulse of Boston. Here, welcoming, in-the-know hospitality, handcrafted experiences and smart food and drink are served with a local perspective surrounded by a waterfront vantage point to envy. For work or play, to gather and connect, there’s a new port of call. Its name is The Envoy Hotel, located at 70 Sleeper Street in Boston. We hope you to see you at The Envoy on Friday Evening, September 16th at 6 o’clock.
Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office: Are YOU Ready to Save a Life?
Speaker: Morton Rosenberg, DMD
Date: September 27, 2016
Place: Wellesley Country Club 300 Wellesley Ave, Wellesley, MA 02481
Time: 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Continuing Education: 3 CEUs
Mail check to Metropolitan district Dental Society, 209 West Central Street, Suite 209, Natick, MA 01760
Life-threatening medical emergencies can occur anytime and to anyone in the dental office. Every dental office must understand the role of the dental team in successfully addressing these emergencies. Office preparation begins with an understanding of the mandated drugs and equipment as promulgated by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Dentistry. This overview on medical emergencies in the dental office will also include a review of the diagnosis and immediate treatment of minor and major medical emergencies.
Dr. Morton Rosenberg, Professor Emeritus of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Head, Division of Anesthesia and Pain Control at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUSDM) and Professor of Anesthesia at Tufts University School of Medicine. Dr. Rosenberg received his D.M.D. from Tufts. On completion of a residency in Anesthesia at Tufts Medical Center where he was Chief Resident, he was appointed to the full time faculty in the Department of Anesthesia where he became Director of Clinical Anesthesia Services and Medical Director of Operating Rooms. A nationally recognized leader and educator in dental sedation and anesthesia He is actively involved in the teaching and training of medical anesthesia residents and nurse anesthetist students, and oral surgical, pediatric, periodontal, GPR, and dental anesthesia residents. He is involved in continuing education for physicians and dentists in the clinical application of nitrous oxide-oxygen, enteral, intravenous and intramuscular sedation, general anesthesia and medical emergencies. Dr. Rosenberg has published extensively in the medical and dental literatures He is the co-editor of Medical Emergencies in Dentistry, has authored 30 chapters and numerous papers in peer reviewed anesthesia, medical and dental journals on subjects ranging from the basic science of anesthetic agents to the introduction of simulation into medical, dental and continuing education programs.
Dr. Rosenberg received the 2006 Heidbrink Award from the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology (ADSA) at which time he also delivered the Osterloh Memorial Lecture, Award of Merit from the Horace Wells Club of Connecticut and The Horace Wells Award for accomplishments in Anesthesiology in Dentistry from the International Federation of Dental Anesthesiology Societies, Provost Award for Outstanding Teaching and Service, Tufts University, Special Award of Appreciation from the Pierre Fauchard Academy, Certificate of Achievement from Alpha Omega and the Leonard Monheim Distinguished Service Award from the American Society of Dentist Anesthesioloigst. He has been a member of Board of Directors of the ADSA for many years and has a great understanding of the practice and issues concerning sedation/anesthesia in dentistry. His research interests include the use of high fidelity human simulation in crisis management and the introduction of newer pharmacologic agents for sedation in the ambulatory setting.
District Meetings and Events
The Metropolitan District Dental Society has the following meetings and events scheduled. Reservations are required for each event. Events begin at 6:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted. MasterCard and Visa are accepted online by clicking the registration links below (when available).
- July 25, 2016: MDDSocial "Welcome to Dental School" Rock Bottom, Theatre District, Boston 6 pm to 8 pm.
- August 4, 2016: MDS Board of Trustees Retreat- Babson Executive Conference Center, Wellesley
- August 21, 2016: Tri-District Social Networking Event "Summer Cooldown" The Burren, Davis Square, Somerville 2:30 pm
- September 7, 2016: MDDS Executive Core #2 , 36 Washington St, Wellesley
- September 13, 2016: Norfolk/Parkway Study Club Meeting Sky Restaurant, Norwood
- September 14, 2016: MDS Board of Trustees - MDS Headquarters, Southborough, 8:30 am
- September 16, 2016: MDDSocial - The Envoy Hotel, roof top, Boston
- September 19, 2016: Tufts Dental Wide Open Golf Tournament, Cohasset, MA
- September 21, 2016: MDDS Executive Board #1, Westin Waltham Hotel (8:00 -8:30 pm) *This meeting will take place following the MDS Regional Meeting
- September 27, 2016: MDDS/Charles River Study Club Dinner Meeting Dental Emergencies Wellesley Country Club -Speaker: Dr. Mort Rosenberg (6:00 - 9:00 pm). For details, contact Dr. Lowenstein at 781.444.0223.
- October 14, 2016: Oktoberfest, Harpoon Brewery
- October 20th – 25, 2016: ADA Annual Session/House of Delegates – Denver, CO
- October 27, 2016: MetroWest Study Club Meeting, Ken’s Steak House, Framingham
- November 1, 2016: Norfolk/Parkway Study Club Meeting Sky Restaurant, Norwood
- November 9, 2016: MDDS Executive Board #2, Wellesley Country Club, Waklin Room (6:00 - 9:00 pm). *Contact Dr. Shomali for dinner request
- MDDSocial: Sports Celebrity Speaker at Golden Temple, Brookline ; Date TBA
- November 30, 2016: MDS Board of Trustees - MDS Headquarters, Southborough, 8:30 am
- December 13, 2016: Charles River Study Club - Woodland Country Club
- January 20 MDDSocial: Jacks Abby Brewery, Framingham
- Jan 25 – 29, 2017: Yankee Dental Congress (Exhibits Jan. 26–28)
- February 7, 2017: Norfolk/Parkway Study Club Meeting Sky Restaurant, Norwood
- February 13, 2017 MDDS Executive Board #3, Wellesley Public Library (6:00 - 9:00 pm) *Contact Dr. Steve for dinner request
- Feabruary 15, 2017: MDS Board of Trustees - MDS Headquarters, Southborough, 8:30 am
- March 1, 2017: MDDS Annual Meeting Election Dinner Lecture with Dr. Gerard Kugel & Friends, The Verve Hotel, Natick
- March 12, 2017: MDDSocial Action Kitchen , Seaport Hotel, Boston
- March 12, 2017: MDDSocial Action Kitchen , Seaport Hotel, Boston
- April 4, 2017: MDDS Executive Board #4
- April 5, 2017: MDS Beacon Hill Day
- April 12, 2017: MDS Board of Trustees - MDS Headquarters, Southborough, 8:30 am
- April 25, 2017: Charles River Study Club - Wellesley Country Club
- May 15, 2017: 3rd Annual Ed Salamoff DMD Memorial Golf Tournament at Charter Oak Country Club, Hudson
- June 5, 2017: MDDS Caucus
- June 9, 2017: 152nd MDS House of Delegates – Newton Marriott (8:30 am)