ERH Mandate Update
National Cleft and Craniofacial Awareness and Prevention Month
Is Your Office Ready for a Surprise Inspection?
35% Is NOT Good Enough
L. Jeffrey Lowenstein, DMD
Editor, Metropolitan District Dental Society
On Mondays, you receive an email from the MDS Dental Practice Committee with a “Dental Practice Insight” of useful information for your practice. On Tuesdays, you receive the MDS eNews from the Society and on Thursdays, you receive the newsletter from the Metropolitan District Dental Society (MDDS). Occasionally, you receive emails from the American Dental Association, AGD, AAO, AEA, and many other dental organizations. But, do you read them? Or, do you even open the email? Research has shown that an average of 35% of MDS members open their emails and many have their spam filters intercept these emails, never to be seen by human eyes.
Simple question: In the case of a dental practice emergency, how would YOU like the Dental Society to contact you? I guess email is not the answer. How about a tweet on Twitter? Or a post on Facebook? Or a photo posted on Instagram? Do you want a letter written, placed in an envelope, stamped and sent through the U.S. Postal Service? Or how about a simple telephone call? The subsequent follow-up question: Cell phone or landline?
The MDDS wants to help you and your practice with the most current information so that you can practice safely and successfully, but in order to accomplish this, we must have an efficient means of communication with each and every member. Your Executive Board is spending valuable time accumulating the necessary information in a timely fashion and wants to present it to you so you can act upon it. All we are asking is how would YOU like US to contact you? Please email, text, tweet, post, or call with your response. Thank you. Together, we can practice dentistry safely and successfully.
MDDSociety.org Update: The Online Compliance Checklist
It all started 6 months ago as a high school student’s senior project and with the valuable assistance of the Dental eShare Company, the Metropolitan District Dental Society is proud to introduce the Online Compliance Checklist. This digital format from Dental eShare makes it easy for your practice to complete and manage your requirements for compliance. By switching from paper to digital, your practice can create and update your compliance checklist at any time, using any mobile device. The Online Compliance Checklist will help you complete and store information efficiently, edit information quickly and easily, and use the save function to start a new checklist without having to retype the identical information again.
The Online Compliance Checklist is a new tool, designed especially for MDDSociety.org, to help you manage your Massachusetts compliance requirements in an easy-to-use online format that can also be printed if necessary. The Metropolitan District Dental Society is providing this tool to all its members free of charge as a membership benefit. The Online Compliance Checklist can be accessed on the MDDSociety.org mobile website by clicking the Online Compliance Checklist button on the home page, completing and submitting the necessary information, and in turn receiving a welcoming email with specific instructions. Please note that the Online Compliance Checklist is still in its infancy and any suggestions for improvement will be greatly appreciated.
Enter the Second "Save the Tooth" Contest
The first “Save the Tooth” contest was recently won by Neponset Valley Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. And YOUR dental office could be the next winner! From now until October 23, the dental office that saves the most extracted teeth and donates them to the dental students will win a restaurant gift certificate to take the entire dental office out for dinner. Dental students need extracted teeth for their pre-clinical exercises. All first-year dental students are required to obtain 24 to 36 extracted human teeth during the school year. If you and your dental office would like to enter the contest, please contact email@example.com for further information. Please note that with many dental practices having more than one location, each submission should be from a single dental office location.
Call for Nominations
The Metropolitan District Dental Society
is calling for nominations for the annual Robert L. Burke, DDS, Memorial
Volunteer Award for 2016-2017. This recognition award was established in 1999
in Dr. Burke’s honor to recognize outstanding volunteer efforts and
contributions that have been put forth for the betterment of the Dental Society. The award is presented annually at a formal District dinner meeting. The 2015 recipient, Dr. Mary DeMello, was honored at the Wellesley
Country Club on Tuesday September 27.
The award is given to a Dental Society
member who is in good standing of the Massachusetts Dental Society and who has
bettered the community within the Metropolitan District. Nominations will be
accepted from the membership and submitted to the District office and then
forwarded to the MDDS Awards Committee. So that the MDDS Awards Committee can properly
evaluate each nomination, nominations must be submitted in writing explaining
why the nominated individual deserves the award. The MDDS Awards Committee is comprised
of four members of the MDDS Executive Committee. District Chair Dr.
Maryam Shomali, is Chair of the MDDS Awards Committee, and she will choose
three people to be on the Committee from the Executive Board. The Chair only
votes in the case of a tie.
Robert L. Burke, DDS Memorial Volunteer Award Recipients
2000 Stephen Stone, DMD
2001 Norman H. Diamond, DMD
2002 Andrea Richman, DMD
2003 Michael S. Swartz, DDS
2004 Michael C. Sheff, DMD
2005 Carl J. Perlmutter, DMD
2006 Edward M. Salamoff, DMD
2007 Joan Qureshi, DMD
2008 James S. Cinamon, DMD
2009 John Horack, DMD
A. Slone, DMD
L. Cardiff, DDS
E. Bullock, DDS
Jeffrey Lowenstein, DMD
District Meetings and Events
The Metropolitan District Dental Society has the following meetings and events scheduled. Reservations are required for each event. Events begin at 6:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted. MasterCard and Visa are accepted online by clicking the registration links below (when available).
- October 20 – 25, 2016: ADA Annual Session/House of Delegates – Denver, CO
- November 1, 2016: Norfolk/Parkway Study Club Meeting Sky Restaurant, Norwood
- November 9, 2016: MDDS Executive Board #2, Wellesley Country Club, Waklin Room (6:00 - 9:00 p.m.). *Contact Dr. Shomali for dinner request
- MDDSocial: Sports Celebrity Speaker at Golden Temple, Brookline; Date TBA
- November 30, 2016: MDS Board of Trustees - MDS Headquarters, Southborough, 8:30 a.m.
- December 1, 2016: MetroWest Study Club Meeting, Ken’s Steak House, Framingham
- December 13, 2016: Charles River Study Club - Woodland Country Club, Newton
- January 20, 2017: MDDSocial: Jacks Abby Brewery, Framingham
- January 25–29, 2017: Yankee Dental Congress (Exhibits January 26–28, 2017)
- February 7, 2017: Norfolk/Parkway Study Club Meeting, Sky Restaurant, Norwood
- February 13, 2017: MDDS Executive Board #3, Wellesley Public Library (6:00 - 9:00 p.m.) *Contact Dr. Steve for dinner request
- February 15, 2017: MDS Board of Trustees - MDS Headquarters, Southborough, 8:30 a.m.
- March 1, 2017: MDDS Annual Meeting Election Dinner Lecture with Dr. Gerard Kugel & Friends, The Verve Hotel, Natick
- March 12, 2017: MDDSocial Action Kitchen , Seaport Hotel, Boston
- April 4, 2017: MDDS Executive Board #4
- April 5, 2017: MDS Beacon Hill Day, Boston
- April 12, 2017: MDS Board of Trustees - MDS Headquarters, Southborough, 8:30 a.m.
- April 25, 2017: Charles River Study Club - Wellesley Country Club
- May 15, 2017:Third Annual Ed Salamoff, DMD, Memorial Golf Tournament, Charter Oak Country Club, Hudson
- June 5, 2017: MDDS Caucus
- June 9, 2017: 153rd MDS House of Delegates – Newton Marriott (8:30 a.m.)