The Ethics Committee is composed of volunteer dentists whose primary responsibilities are to:
- Consider written charges referred to the Committee against a member who has allegedly violated one of the following: (1) having been found guilty of a felony, (2) having been found guilty of violating any Massachusetts laws relative to the practice of dentistry or any BORID rules and regulations, or (3) the MDS Bylaws, Code of Ethics, or the ADA's Principles of Ethics.
- Investigate or hold a hearing to which the accused member has been invited and render a decision to the Board of Trustees calling for censure, probation, suspension, expulsion, or other appropriate action.
- Investigate or hold a hearing to which the accused member has been invited and render a decision and issue a reprimand.
- Maintain and interpret the Principles of Ethics of the American Dental Association.
- Provide guidance and advice on ethical and professional issues to component societies.
- Formulate and disseminate information related to ethical and professional conduct in the practice and promotion of dentistry.