The Massachusetts Dental Society (MDS) Foundation recently awarded its fifth annual “Expanding Access to Dental Care” grants, totaling $121,000, to six organizations in Massachusetts.
The MDS Foundation Grant Program focuses on the Foundation’s primary goals of improving the oral health of all the citizens of Massachusetts and increasing access to oral care for underserved populations in the state.
2015 Expanding Access to Dental Care Grant Recipients
The Ambassador Program gives you an opportunity to join with your colleagues in developing a community service program that benefits those in your community.
- Decide on your project and submit an application to the Foundation.
- Special consideration will be given to those who develop a program that encompasses multiple areas of support from within their community.
- Your program must be supplemented by members securing matching funds or donating in-kind services. Members must recruit at least one colleague to assist in project implementation.
- If approved, participants would receive a Foundation grant of up to $2,000 to support their program.
- The MDS will provide a toolkit to help members promote their program in their community. The MDS can also provide materials and supplies for certain projects, depending on their availability. Participants must provide the MDS with a video and/or photographs from the event to be used for promotional purposes and to recognize members’ contributions.
Visit the Foundation Ambassador Grant page for more details and to apply
Access to Care Grants
The Foundation distributes funds in various amounts to applicants located in Massachusetts for projects benefiting citizens of the Commonwealth. Priority is given to proposals that have measurable improvement goals, show strong community support for the project, and are innovative in nature.
For information about funding levels and whether or not your proposed project would fit within the Foundation's parameters, contact Jennifer Hanlin, MDS Foundation assistant clerk.
The deadline to apply for grants is September 1 of each year. A properly completed grant application, including all required documents, must be postmarked on or before September 1.
The MDS Foundation makes available funding to organizations or programs that meet the guidelines for “Targeted Grants.” These grants are “one-time only” awards.
Targeted Grants Guidelines
The Organization/program must be involved in activities that are encompassed by the MDS Foundation Mission Statement.
No written application for funding is required. However, a letter on organization letterhead describing the proposed project is required.
Targeted grants are limited to $2,000
Organizations/programs, in accepting the grant, must agree to provide the MDS Foundation with a written report on the use of the funds.
Supported Oral Health Projects
Examples of oral health projects supported by the MDS Foundation include, but are not limited to:
- Increasing access to oral care for low-income families and children;
- Increasing access to oral care for infirmed or elderly residents of Massachusetts;
- Increasing access to oral care for special needs and developmentally disabled children and adults;
- Supporting community outreach programs, community health centers, and public health settings seeking to increase access to oral care for local community residents;
- Other programs not listed above that clearly demonstrate methods for increasing access to oral health care for vulnerable populations.